Installing VMware Tools on Ubuntu or Ubuntu Server with a graphical user interface
To mount the CD image and extract the contents:
- Power on the virtual machine.
- Log in to the virtual machine using an account with administrator or root privileges.
- Select: For Fusion: Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools.
For Workstation: VM > Install VMware Tools.
For Player: Player > Manage > Install VMware Tools.Note: If you are running the light version of Fusion, a version of Workstation without VMware Tools, or VMware Player, you are prompted to download VMware Tools before they can be installed. Click Download Now to begin the download.
- Open the VMware Tools CD mounted on the Ubuntu desktop.
- Right-click the file name that is similar to
VMwareTools.x.x.x-xxxx.tar.gz, click Extract to, and select Ubuntu Desktop to save the extracted contents.The
vmware-tools-distribfolder is extracted to the Ubuntu Desktop.
To install VMware Tools in Ubuntu:
- Open a Terminal window. For more information, see Opening a command or shell prompt (1003892).
- In the Terminal, run this command to navigate to the
- Run this command to install VMware Tools:
sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d
-dswitch assumes that you want to accept the defaults. If you do not use
-d, press Return to accept the defaults or supply your own answers.
- Enter your Ubuntu password.
- Restart the Ubuntu virtual machine after the VMware Tools installation completes.